Recipe yields 1 dozen
Prep Time: 2 hours Baking Time: 8 - 10 minutes
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 packet (2 ¼ teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/43 degrees C)
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar (¼ cup if you’d like the dough sweeter)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup baking soda
2 cups hot water
sea salt for topping
melted butter to brush on pretzels when done
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl; place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water (almost boiling).
4. When dough is risen, punch it down and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope (the diameter of your finger and 20 inches long) and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution for about 10 seconds each; then place on a non-stick or greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes or until browned.
5. Brush with melted butter, or dip in melted butter and coat with cinnamon and sugar or other favorites. Enjoy!
My friends at Eerdman's made a really cute video where they made the recipe too. Check it out!